Monday, October 10, 2011

The Man in the Mirror



I'm starting with the man in the mirror.
I'm asking him to change his ways.
And no message could have been any clearer.
If you want to make the world a better place,
Take a look at yourself, and
Then make a change.
                                                                        --Michael Jackson

            Struggling with some pretty heavy behavioral issues this past week, including mean-spirited bullying, lunch-line craziness, disrespect towards adults and an overall all sense of negativity in our classroom, my co-teacher and I have really been looking for simple pillars of community and virtue to rally our class behind. We decided it was time for a change in attitude in Room 206. Interestingly enough we found some hope in Michael Jackson’s song the “Man in the mirror.”

            The simple message of starting with yourself and changing your own attitude combined with the catchy song of an iconic legend is something that the students have responded to very positively. As the students walked into class to unpack each day this past week, we played the “Man in the Mirror” quietly in the background. On each wall of our class we posted the lyrics to the song. My co-teacher even came in on Thursday wearing a Michael-Jackson-style hat. The message seems to be spreading. On occasions I have heard students humming the song while going to the bathroom or while reading after school. 

            When 3rd graders are confronted with metaphor, the response can often be quite entertaining. When one of my students, Jaden O, was off-task, drumming his pencil incessantly on his desk, I sternly reminded him to take a look at the man in the mirror. For a second Jaden gave me a puzzled look. Then he inquired, “but Mr. Miller, who is the man in the mirror?” I could help but smile as I explained the concept to him. Nonetheless, I believe that whether my 3rd graders fully understand the idea or not, whether subconsciously or consciously, the use of more creative measures such as song or catch phrases to encourage behavior is both effective as a teaching mechanism and also fun for our classroom culture.    

No comments:

Post a Comment