Sunday, October 16, 2011

Restorative Justice in Room 206

The model for dealing with behavior problems at Voice is restorative justice. Restorative Justice emphasizes repairing the harm caused by misbehavior rather than simply providing a consequence or punishment. It is best accomplished through collaborative, well-thought-out processes that include all stakeholders. This week my co-teacher, principle and I are trying restorative justice with one of our students who made a comical, but what was interpreted as offensive, mistake.

On Thursday, Jaden M. walked into the classroom grumbling unhappily with an unusually large frown on his usually joyful face. “What’s going on Jaden? Why are you upset?” I asked. Jaden looked up at me and said,” I’m upset because I got in trouble yesterday.” “Why what happened?” I responded. “Yesterday after school I got in trouble with the President-thingy. He said I was being rude because I asked him if he was the deliveryman. But I thought he has the deliveryman because he had a helmet and bicycle. The he took me to Mr. Headley, and I got in trouble.”

When I first heard this I was a little confused. But as I put the story together I became more amused. It turns out that Jaden M, who is one of the most innocent and well-intentioned students in my class, accidentally mistook the principle (“President-thingy”) of the school the floor below our school. He asked the principle if he was the delivery man because the principle looked like he could be one as he was leaving the school on his bike. The principle took offense to the question, thinking that Jaden was being rude and mean-spirited. He then took Jaden to the principle of our school and reported the situation.

Amusing as the situation was, the principle of my school, my co-teacher and I had to help Jaden come up with a restorative solution. We sat down with Jaden and helped guide him through a plan that he initiated. This week Jaden is going to deliver an invitation (with our help) to the principle inviting him to visit the 3rd grade class during one of our class meetings. Jaden is going to introduce the principle to the class and ask him some interview-style questions so that the rest of the class can get to know the principle better. The idea is that Jaden will restore his relationship with the other school’s principle by getting to know him better. As comic as the situation might be, I think this is a valuable lesson for Jaden and a great opportunity for our class to get to know someone in their immediate community.

No comments:

Post a Comment